Monday, July 14, 2008

Walking in Faith

I've just returned from two weeks of vacation. My wife and I spent 12 lovely days in Northern California. We walked among the giant red woods, we walked along the beautiful coastline, we walked all over the city of San Francisco and I spent quite a bit of time considering my walk with God.

As a professional religious person (Christian Pastor) it is easy to treat my walk with God as part of my "job". It is easy to read the Bible not for a fresh word from God but for "preaching fodder". It is difficult to separate the day to day struggles and the things that have to be done from the fundamental truth that my primary purpose is not different than anyone else's. My purpose is to learn to walk with God. Pastoring is what I do, child of God is who I am.

So, we did a lot of walking. I did a lot of unfocused thinking, just letting my mind gather the flotsam and jetsam of my life. I realize that there are a lot of things I am engaged in, a lot of attention for my time, a lot of good stuff I could (should, must?) be doing. But what matters most is that I keep my heart pure and focused on God.

I read this morning in Hebrews 11 -- the "Faith Hall of Fame". Most of us like to hear about Moses and Abraham and David and the heroes of the past. I am really touched when the author of Hebrews reminds us that those who suffered, died and struggled in the faith were faithful and also were counted as members of the Faith HOF.

more later

bj

No comments: