Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Chaos

Have you noticed that most of us function with a higher level of chaos this time of year. I have found that this is especially true for my friends with small children. There is an energy and a level of expectation that drives this energy that is over and above any other time of year. It could be the anticipation of gifts. It could be the extra fun foods that are available. I remember when I was a kid and the cousins got together that we always seemed to manage to whip each other into a frenzy -- so it might just be the energy caused by a close proximity of lots of people. Whatever it is there is quite a bit of chaos.

I can sit in my office or walk around the church and I can hear a family rehearsing music and with their melodic tones coming from one side of the door, on the other side is 50 children and youth either rehearsing, waiting to rehearse, or just generally hanging around getting ready for the annual Christmas program this evening. I hear the excitement in their voices, I see the excitement on their faces, and, needless to say, I pray that no one or no thing gets broken (especially the no one part).

God brought order to chaos. Sunday school teachers and workers are bringing order to chaos outside my office door. Me? I'm working on it.

Blessed season of amazing childlike energy,

bj

No comments: