Monday, October 1, 2012

2 Timothy Introduction and 2 Timothy 1


Today the Uganda team is on the road to New York and in the air to Cairo.

INTRODUCTION

2 Timothy is more in the recognized style and language of Paul and has fewer scholars suggesting that someone other than Paul wrote it. It is a second letter to Paul’s longtime friend, son in the faith, and faithful companion, Timothy. Assigning a date to the letter encounters many of the same problems discussed in 1Timothy. Key Learning: 2 Timothy 3:16 – all who live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. This does not mean we should go looking for it, it means it will find those who are striving to live holy and faithful lives.



2 Timothy 1

2 Timothy 1: 1:6 – rekindle the gift of God that is within you. One of the things I have learned in over 30 years of pastoral ministry is that Christian leaders get tired and sometimes forget why they are doing what they are doing. It is kind of like the sign I saw in a construction office when I was in Seminary. It said: “when you are up to you backside in alligators it is hard to remember that the objective was to drain the swamp.” Sometimes we get so busy doing that we forget to attend to our being. The fire and gifts that God has given us for ministry must be periodically renewed and refreshed.



1:12 – I am not ashamed for I know that the one in whom I have put my trust and I am sure that he is able to guard until that day what I have entrusted to him” As a preacher of the gospel and an apostle, Paul reminds his young protégé that even when things are tough God is good and God is faithful.

No comments: